Dec 15, 2019
#010: Ann Weston
Scott talks to Ann
Weston, a UK based yoga teacher and teacher trainer, on
her 62 years of yoga practice.
Ann began her yoga
practice at the age of sixteen in 1957. She has been a
quiet pioneer of yoga in Britain since that time, quietly
practicing and sharing to others what she has found to be so
beautiful in her life. Yoga.
Ann still teaches classes near her
home in Watford and has for the last 26 years taught relaxation at
an NHS cancer hospital.
You can reach out to Ann directly
62 Years of Practice - Ann Weston
In this rich and warm conversation, Scott and Ann talk about how
yoga has shaped Ann's life since she began practicing back in 1957.
Ann has never rested on her laurels and has always kept moving to
see what's possible in her life. She has navigated all the major
explosions in yoga from the 1960s onwards. Ann shares how she met
all of this while raising a family.
This is a classic Stillpoints podcast.
A conversation that inspires through the story of one person
who has practiced for over 60 years and
has always had a deep passion for yoga. Yoga practitioners and
teachers should listen to Ann's story as it harks back to a time
before most of us were born, before the big explosions we know that
have catapulted yoga around the world. Ann talks about the
explosions of yoga in her early years that most of us are unaware
If you like this podcast then also listen
to Scott’s conversation with
Danny Paradise which also looks at the practice from a long
term stand point.
Ann talks about:
- how she first met Scott.
- how yoga first landed for her when she was a mother.
- what she was like as a young girl before yoga.
- how she started her first yoga class in 1957 and really loved
- how she had a family in 1963 and her life changed.
- how she learnt from Richard Hittleman on the television in the
- how these were the first yoga classes on a screen.
- how she began moving into teaching with Diana Lang in Sunita
PranaYama Yoga method.
- how her training in yoga was strict.
- how she then had to learn to teach in adult education.
- how she was able to balance her teaching and family life.
- how she moved into teaching in the British Wheel Of Yoga.
- how this way of teaching broadened her knowledge.
- how her life is broken down into a wider context.
- how in 1973/74 she elevated her teaching.
- how there was an explosion of yoga in the early 1970s.
- how her teaching was effected by this explosion.
- how she moved into a sense of responsibility for her
- how she moved into residentials in the late 1970s.
- how she met her first philosophy teacher.
- from the millennium she feels she has evolved again.
- how now she has found real peace with her yoga
- how teaching relaxation to cancer patients in the NHS has
really grounded her.
- how she feels fulfilled from all her practice over the
Instagram picture with Scott and Ann.
Yogi Sunita Cabral - The Lotus In The Rose book.
Suzanna Newcombe - Yoga In Britain.
British Wheel Of Yoga
Mr Voss - Unkown.
Lyn Marshall - Unknown.
Diana Lang - Unknown.
Yogi Sunita Cabral amazing article.
Angela Macdonald and June Baker - Unknown.